Muc Hoa
by John Blevins

I spent the next few days in Can Tho getting hit about every night.  Talk
about a clusterfuck, this was the first time the C Team in Can Tho had ever
gotten hit and the whole place was going nuts.

Paul Newbold, our medic in Tuyen Nhon was there on some mission and we stayed
pretty close to each other because we felt that we were the only two people
in the whole world we could depend on. They had closed the NCO Club and we
had not had a drink for a couple of days and Paul  got a bottle  of Scotch
from somewhere, ever try to drink warm scotch without any mixer or ice?

After a few days I got a ride to Moc Hoa with my load of chow with the
1/Lt that I had rescued from downtown Can Tho and ran into Tom Elrick and De
luca,  laughing about the rockets that knocked them down but did not have any
shrapnel to them so they were unhurt. While at Moc Hoa an  E-7 Mills got hit
between the eyes  with an AK-47 round, I saw him back at Bragg about a year
later and asked him if he remembered us being in VN and he told me that he
could not remember anything about VN.  I heard that later he lost everything.

While at Moc Hoa, they stuck me on guard one night and me and this other
guy were peering out thru the arch over the main gate when this Lt. came up
behind us unheard and fired one of those hand held rockets, between me and
this other guy and thru the gate.

I turned around , not to see what it was, but to shoot somebody and
already was tightening up on the trigger when I saw it was an American, I
don't know who was the most scared him or me, but if he survived the war that
is about as close as he ever came to being killed, I'm sure.  Got out of bed
one morning and my web gear was gone and who do I see it on but this Lt. that
I had rescued in Can Tho.  It was a BAR belt that had 6 pockets and held 3
M-16 mags in each pocket standing up and 1across the top. Plus it had my
compass, knife canteen, etc.  Prove it's yours says he.  I go in the orderly
room and ask to speak to the CO.  SGM Bowser asks why and I tell him " I am
planning to shoot a Lt".  "Wait here ".  He comes in about 5 minutes later
with my gear.

I finally got a aircraft to take me down to Tuyen Nhon, but had to leave
the load of chow at Moc Hoa.
Got back to Tuyen Nhon and all was quiet on the western front.  But every
night for about a week, some one would hear something and sound the alarm and
everyone would run to their posts and nothing happened.

Every night just before it got dark I would shoot off a few rounds from
the .50 cal we had mounted on top of the Commo bunker to make sure it was OK.

One night I went out there and it would not function so I took it down and
put it in the supply room.  Before I went to bed I got to thinking about it
and went and got an M-60, took it up there and linked two 720 round belts
together and loaded it.

Sometime in the night the alarm went off again and everyone manned their
posts, I told my radio operator to go inside the commo bunker and I crawled
on top and picked up the M-60.  There I was standing like a fool silhouetted
against the sky, not thinking there was a VC for miles, when right in front
of me and right where I am pointing the M-60 all the green tracers in the
world came up in my face.  They saw me and assumed I saw them.  I didn't have
sense enough to get down and I stood there like Rambo and gave them all 1440
rounds.  Those poor bastards, if they had not sabatoged the .50 cal by the
time we saw them they were so close I could not have lowered it enough to use
it on them anyway.