Crime and Immigration-Related Provisions Dropped from 9/11 Conference Report
DEATH PENALTY PROVISIONS
· Sec. 2400. Subtitle K. Prevention of Terrorist Access to Destructive Weapons Act of 2004.
Conference Report eliminates death penalty provision in Section 2403 (Missile Systems to Destroy Aircraft) (p. 166 of Compromise), sec. 2404 (atomic weapons)(p. 167), sec. 2405 (Radiological dispersal device)(p.169); sec. 2406 Variola Virus (p. 170). Reduces Mandatory Minimum for sec. 2403 (Missile Systems to Destroy aircraft)(p. 166); for sec. 2404 (Atomic Weapons)(p. 167); for sec. 2405 (Radiological Dispersal Device) (p. 168-169); for sec. 2406 (Variola Virus)(p. 170).
· Subtitle L--Terrorist Penalties Enhancement Act of 2004.
Conference Report eliminates section which provided death penalty for certain terrorist acts.
· Sections 2301-2302 Mass Transportation. (Capito Amendment)
Conference Report eliminates House provision to bridge existing gaps and shortcomings in the two provisions that could thwart the government's ability to adequately prosecute attacks on transportation systems. (Note: Did not strike Death)
· Sec. 2122. Conduct in aid of counterfeiting
Conference Report eliminates provisions that would equate the possession of anti-counterfeiting technology or components, with the intent that it be used in a counterfeiting scheme, with the. actual act of counterfeiting.
· Sec. 2142. Background checks
IMMIGRATION PROVISIONS OF H.R. 10 THAT WERE ELIMINATED OR
SUBSTANTIALLY WEAKENED IN THE CONFERENCE REPORT
· Section 3006 – Alien Identification Standards. Conference Report only applies the restrictions on the documents that aliens can use to prove identity when boarding airplanes.
· Section 3007 – Expedited Removal of Illegal Aliens. Conference Report eliminates this provision.
Section 3008 – Preventing Aliens from Obtaining Asylum. Conference Report eliminates this provision, replacing it with a study.
· Section 3010 – Restriction on Excessive Judicial Review of Deportation Orders of Criminal Aliens. Conference Report eliminates this provision.
· Sections 3031-32 – Detention of Dangerous Aliens Who Cannot Be Deported. Conference Report eliminates this provision.
· Section 3033 – Additional Removal Authority for Deportable Aliens. Conference Report eliminates this provision.
Sections 3034-35 – Allowing for the Deportation of All Alien Terrorists and Their Supporters Who Are Inadmissible. Conference Report eliminates this provision.
Section 3052 – In Drivers' License Provision, Bar on Illegal Aliens from Obtaining Drivers' Licenses. Conference Report eliminates this provision.
· Section 3004 – Authorization of Interior Immigration Agents. Conference Report eliminates House requirement that new agents enforce restrictions on illegal aliens in the workplace.